Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Of Money and Morality

Prussian King Frederick the Great reportedly mocked the delicacy of Austrian Empress Maria Theresa over the 18th century dismemberment of Poland, with the words, “She weeps, but she takes her share.”  Such were the ways of European kings and empresses.  I am reminded of those words, however, when I hear people criticize money, all the while more than eager to get their share, earned or not.

I can imagine this conversation between such a money mourner and an advocate of money:

Barry:  Hey, Franklin, can you lend me a couple of bucks?

Franklin:  I think it was Disreali who cautioned, never lend money to a friend unless he is a friend you want to be rid of.

Barry:  Come on, Franklin, it’s only a couple of bucks, and I’ll pay you back tomorrow.

Franklin:  In that light, here are two dollars.

Barry:  How about 5?

Franklin:  How did 2 suddenly become 5?

Barry:  Come on, Franklin, what’s the difference?  It’s only money, and you’ve got it.  You always have some money in your pocket.  I’m good for it, and we’re friends.

Franklin:  Because we are friends, I’ll give you a choice.  I’ll give you $2 or lend you $5.  Which do you prefer?

Barry:  I wish we didn’t need money.  It would be a lot better world without it.

Franklin:  Would it really?  Because of money we are having this conversation, discussing a free transfer of value between the two of us.  You are asking me freely to lend you value that you promise to return to me.  I do not ask what you want it for; that is your business.  We are having a conversation based upon our honor and promises to one another.  Without money, this whole conversation, this honorable exchange, would not take place.  You would either go and just take what you want the money for, or it would be beyond your reach.  Money is giving us both a choice to work together for your good.

Barry:  Well there is no way I can take what I want.  I need the money for lunch.  I can’t just walk in and take it.

Franklin:  Then, without money—mine or yours—you would be hungry.

Barry:  I’m hungry now.

Franklin:  And you would stay hungry.

Barry:  That’s why money is so immoral.  It’s keeping me hungry unless I can get it and use it to persuade someone to let me have something to eat.

Franklin:  Where were you going to get something to eat?

Barry:  Over at the hamburger joint.

Franklin:  Do you know anyone over there?

Barry:  No, not really.

Franklin:  So you want a perfect stranger to give you some of his food, prepared the way that you want it.  Why should he do that?  He doesn’t know you, you don’t know him.

Barry:  It’s not his food.  He just works there.

Franklin:  He works there for nothing, of course.

Barry:  No, they pay him.

Franklin:  With what?

Barry:  Money.  So what’s your point?

Franklin:  The morality of money.  Look how it makes it possible for several people all to work together and cooperate, friends and perfect strangers, all to make it possible to end your hunger.  I, as a friend, provide you the money, that you take over to the hamburger joint, where a perfect stranger gives you in exchange for your money a meal made according to your liking, and he does that because the owner of the hamburger joint pays him money to do it.  Think of whether any of that would happen without money.  That little bit of money allows us all to work peacefully together in free association.  What kind of a society would we have without money?

Barry:  Look, are you going to give me the money or not?

Franklin:  I'll give you 2 or lend you 5, what's your preference?

Barry:  Lend me the five.

Franklin:  Good choice.

2 comments:

Liz said...

After Barry's uneducated, embarrassing responses, I don't think lending him the $5 was actually a good choice. I'd say chances are high Franklin wont get his money back. Barry will most likely feel he deserves his friend's money more. After all, he will be hungry again soon.

Franklin should make better choices in his friends, perhaps someone who wont ask for a free handout, but instead simply request his company at said burger joint. Good for him condescending in an effort to educate his "friend". He's more benevolent than I am!

Wayne Abernathy said...

I think that Franklin agrees with you.