Sunday, February 10, 2013

Of the Meaning of “Still” and the State of the Union

Notice how frequently these days when discussing the state of the American union, or any parts thereof, people rely upon the word “still.”  That is a bad sign.  When someone says, “I am still able to see my own doctor,” he or she implies that continued access is in doubt.  Rather than reassuring, it insinuates caution and reveals anxiety.  What do you hear when someone says, “At least I am still married”?

You do not commonly hear people using “still” in connection with things that they are sure of.  If a baseball player boasts, “I can still hit the ball out of the park,” is he likely to be in his prime or in the twilight of his career?

Allow me to offer for your consideration a dozen recent objects of STILL in public discourse about the condition of the nation:

·         The United States is still the largest economy in the world.

·         The United States still has the strongest/best military in the world.

·         The dollar is still the world’s reserve currency.

·         The United States still is a free country.

·         America still is the land of opportunity.

·         The Supreme Court still can be counted on to defend the Constitution.

·         By hard work and best effort you still can become anything you want.

·         My children will still have a better life than I have had.

·         My children will still live in a bigger house than the one I grew up in.

·         In this country you can still get the best healthcare.

·         America still has the deepest, most liquid, and efficient financial markets.

·         At least the air you breathe is still free.

Undoubtedly, you can think of more for the list.  Then, there are some things we do not hear people saying “still” about any more:

·         America is the best place to get an education.

·         Americans make the best cars.

·         I can freely speak my mind.

·         I can trust what I hear or read in the “news.”

·         You can count on the elections not being rigged.

I forbear going on.  You can add more if you wish.  There are some topics where the doubt is too palpable for people to venture “still” in their expressions.

If we leave the discussion at that, then we have a sad commentary on the sad state of the union.  The expression of “still” in our conversation can reveal a desperate clinging to the past with a forlorn wish that things will work out for the future, without doing the good works to make the good future happen.

I would suggest, though, that “still” can also mean “not over,” or “not gone.”  We need not settle for “still” and do nothing about it.  That which we value can be reclaimed from assault and reinforced, the erosion stopped, the tide turned.  After all, John Paul Jones is famous for winning a naval battle from the deck of his sinking—but still afloat—flagship, because he used it as a platform from which to regain what was lost.  “I have not yet begun to fight!” is still part of the American heritage.

No comments: